March 27, 2011

Hidden Heart Cupcakes

Okay, okay, I know. Valentine's Day was over a month ago. But I wanted to share this cute idea (and fun new website!) called Bake it in a Cake.

Here are some pictures of my efforts trying to make "hidden heart" cupcakes with regular yellow cake batter and this ridiculously awesome chocolate frosting.:

Separating the batter for the hearts.

After cooking a small red cake, I used a small heart-shaped cookie cutter to create the inserts. I don't think it was small enough in the long run, but it worked for the initial experiment.       

You can probably see my dilemma - the hearts aren't even close to covered by the batter. And, they kept floating and wanting to lay on their backs! I tried to pour small amounts of remaining batter on top of them, but the cupcake didn't rise enough to completely cover them, so then it just looked weird. This is why I named them "hidden heart" cupcakes - this way, everyone knew there was a heart somewhere in there, but not exactly how it was oriented. It was like a treasure hunt. (This solution actually worked out surprisingly well).


I frosted them with chocolate, because I firmly believe that chocolate is one of the greatest things on earth. This is not as gourmet as the original recipe, but they still tasted delicious!



For some reason, the formatting is all over the place on this post. I apologize - I don't really have the patience to figure it out today, so hopefully it doesn't drive you too nuts:-)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment