March 26, 2011

Cake Batter Bark

 

A friend posted a link to this recipe on facebook, and I immediately had to try it. Even though it goes against my "cake batter from a box" rule, I made an exception since I wasn't actually making cake. I made a few minor changes (basically, I dumbed it down a bit so it could be made in 10 minutes or less), and my first batch was devoured in approximately two hours (there were only four of us here at the time...) Every time I've made it, I've tried something a little different, but by far the best version was my second (which is what I have pictures of here). But first, the much fancier food blog that tells you how to make it: How Sweet It Is.


The changes I made for time & handiness sake: 

I used melting chocolate wafers. With these, once the dark chocolate layer is melted and spread out onto the pan, work quickly with the white chocolate. If you let the dark chocolate harden all the way (or put it in the freezer), then the white chocolate won't adhere to it. I also learned, however, that if you do it too quickly, the chocolates mix together and you get mottled bark. It's a delicate balance.


Once I spread the dark chocolate and melted the white chocolate, I added a whole lot of cake batter. Three teaspoons didn't do much to give it a cake batter taste, so I kept adding until I could taste cake over white chocolate. This was a startling amount of cake batter, but it still tasted great. Just be forewarned that this will make your white chocolate very thick and difficult to mix & spread.

Perhaps the problems above could have been avoided if I had actually followed the recipe and used "real" chocolate. But it still tasted great, and I used what I had on hand, so it was a win-win.





No comments:

Post a Comment