February 19, 2011

The Ultimate Chocolate Frosting

I love chocolate. I love frosting. I love chocolate frosting. But for the most part, homemade chocolate frosting usually leaves me feeling... well, not in love! I've tried several. Some have been horrible, and I have not posted them. Others have been passable, and good for unique reasons (for example, the one used in the Halloween Haunted House was really thick and fudgy, stiff enough to sit out all day on display and really hold onto sprinkles or other decorations). But that delicate, light chocolate frosting that I love to eat straight out of store bought cans eluded me on the homemade front... until I found this recipe. It was originally billed as an icing for cookies, but with a simple modification it has become my new go-to chocolate frosting recipe. This way, I get all the taste satisfaction of the store-bought frosting, without all of the crazy preservatives and chemicals that go into them. I always find that things taste extra-good when you can pronounce all of the ingredients!

THE ULTIMATE CHOCOLATE FROSTING
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2-4 tablespoons milk
  • 1-2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted
Mix together all the ingredients (start with just 2 tablespoons of milk). Slowly add more milk as needed to reach desired consistency.

The only modifications I made to the cookie icing recipe were to add a little more milk, and unsweetened chocolate. I find that solely using cocoa doesn't allow for a very rich chocolate flavor, so adding the unsweetened melting chocolate helps round it out.

Enjoy!





1 comment: